Lost and con-founded

by hozhijie

BP: October Week II
121015; 2155

It’s Monday and I’m booking in now. Things happened rather hasty yet tragically recently. Just when I booked in on Saturday night for my guard duty the next day, I realised that my 11B was gone. It just magically disappeared from this world when it was fine with me on Friday.

My plan to turn in early was subsequently disrupted as I spent the next two hours searching high and low in my bunk’s precinct for it. My desperation coerced me to even dig out the trash in the bins along the corridor. I was discombobulated at how things actually turned out. I questioned myself incessantly why am I always the one who loses my items so freely. It’s an untimely coincidence how it was gone in the same week I lost my magazine last year. Perhaps this explains why I always bear such resistance and reluctant to embrace October. It’s a month of mishaps and mistakes.

After grabbing less than 5 hours of sleep, I woke up to the call of duty, only concomitantly with an impending discomfort of an ominous fever. It certainly wasn’t nice to start the day and end the week like that. I was starkly demoralised but life must still go on. I remind myself constantly that He will enable me and bring me through this havoc.

I’m thankful that the duty wasn’t as bad as I thought. I had more rest than expected. It’s just strange how consuming 8 panadols and lozenges in a day didn’t help to soothe the stubborn gyp. Thanks Raymond for delivering the bowl of fish soup rice I needed. Speaking about food, the lunch and dinner provided were horrendous in every manner. As dawn approached, I’m grateful that I have finally completed my last duty of the month after doing almost 3 in a week.

Having rested through the noon, some of us set off to pay visit to a fellow comrade of ours whom mum has just passed on. The meet up was solemn and I hope he’s coping well in this trying times.

The entire episode almost made me realised how superstitious I am nowadays. I was kinda unhappy at how one of my guys didn’t hesitate to share his life encounter of getting sick for 2 weeks after picking up something he liked on the ground, purporting that black magic couldn’t be overlooked. That’s his response when I casually shared how my dad found a nameless wallet containing hundred of dollars just after I gave a stranger $10 the day before who may disguise himself as a conman due to some incoherency that ensued after my donation. Instead of helping me, his unfortunate testimony reinforced that insecurity in me. When I returned home this evening, I found out that my dad didn’t go to work today as he was down with a high fever and got his leg inflamed. He seemed cool about the condition get I chided him for not taking care of his health and compromised it at the expense of work. Funny how many misfortunes happened in a span of two short days..I told myself to not give in to groundless mortal spiritual doctrines but circumstances kinda force me to point in that direction which I hope to evade. I need help.

Unhappy thoughts aside, whilst the weekends were short, I’m glad to have celebrated Melwin’s 20th birthday alongside with him. I surprised him with a cake in the morning from behind when he’s having lunch with Fiona. It’s also my first time visiting the popular district of upper thomson. Thereafter, I expended my virgin chance to utilise Grabtaxi for a free car trip to Somerset. The ride was pleasant apart from the grumpy driver whom had an capricious attitude. We bought some snacks or actually my lunch before meeting Alika at the cinema. Collected my online booking tickets and just when we were about to enter the theatre, our food was barred from entering. It’s been ages since this rule was reinforced and after some futile negotiation, I only managed to have my chicken cutlet inside, leaving our KOI outside lol. We watched Pan and it was great although the finale was kinda cheesy. Gallivanted around the mall after the show and settled down somewhere where we gave Melwin his presents. He didn’t actually complain when we gave him this poster of a prominent soccer player hahahah. Left the place in the evening for home. Happy birthday dude.

Managed to get some affairs done at home before booking in for my duty the following day. Just when I thought the week was less treacherous as I thought, that setback happened and as aforementioned, I was taken aback. Currently I only pray that it can be found and returned to me and that the higher ups can give me some time to wait for it to be found before forcing me to make that exorbitant fine of $50 for a replacement. I also pray that there will not be other repercussions apart from the financial and emotional aspects of it. May I also recover quickly from this illness. I don’t wish to report sick for this on top of my skin and back problems tomorrow as scheduled. One more stop to Yewtee, one more step to the police station.

“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the

peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

‭‭(Ephesians‬ ‭6:10-17‬ ‭NLT‬‬)